Posterior ankle splint
- Also know as "Short-Leg Posterior Splint"
- Adding a coaptation splint (stirrup) to the posterior splint eliminates inversion / eversion - especially useful for unstable fracture and sprains.
- Distal tibia/fibula fracture
- Tarsal/metatarsal fracture
- Reduced dislocations
- Severe sprains
- Achilles tendon rupture (equinus position)
- Assess distal pulse, motor, and sensation
- Apply padding and splint material (e.g. Ortho-glass) as shown
- Maintain position until splint material hardens and secure to leg (e.g. ace wraps)
- Reassess distal pulse, motor, and sensation