- Normal mechanism is "pushing off" with foot
- Also known as "Tennis leg"
- Audible pop
- Calf pain
- Swollen muscle- commonly in medial calf
Positive Calf Raise Test
- Plantar flex the affected ankle. Patients with achilles tendon rupture will not be able to complete the motion, gastrocnemius tears will be tender but can partially complete the motion.
- Compartment syndrome
- Gastrocnemius strain
- Calcaneal bursitis
- Achilles tendon rupture
- Superficial thrombophlebitis
- Typically a clinical diagnosis
- May consider tib/fib xrays or DVTultrasound to rule out other diagnoses, if unclear
- Ankle/foot bracing in a position of maximal tolerable dorsiflexion
- Early weight bearing as tolerated