Theraputic peritoneal lavage
- Active internal re-warming for hypothermic patients
- Severe Hypothermia
- Cardiovascular instability / life-threatening dysrhythmias
- Moderate hypothermia which fails to respond to less aggressive measures
- Catheter placement is similar to that used for diagnostic peritoneal lavage.
- May consider two catheters, one for installation and one for drainage 
- Infuse 10 to 20 mL/kg of isotonic saline warmed to approximately 42°C
- Leave fluid in the peritoneal cavity for 20 minutes, then remove
- Overall exchange rate is 6 L/hour
- Danzl DF, Pozos RS. Accidental hypothermia. N Engl J Med. 1994;331(26):1756-60.