Ordering Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
- Order in ORCHID is "DME subphase." Items can be selected from a list of available supplies or enter item under ‘Misc’. MD also enters an end date, quantity, or refill amount.
- Call Durable Medical Equipment (DME) office at x64292 (p0623) Frank and provide patient’s MRN. Hours Mon-Fri 8 am to 5 pm, office is 1-G-13 (near old Ped ED, current Heart Station)
- Frank prints the ORCHID script and faxes to patient’s insurance company. DME will be delivered directly to patient’s address in approximately 4-5 days. If necessary, ensure patient has some supplies until delivery starts.
- After hours or weekends: can contact Supercare (the DME supply company) at 800-206-4880. Can deliver to ED (may not be right away) or patient home.
- first, MD enters prescription in ORCHID. Then call Frank who is with DME medical supply company - see above - during business hours - ext 5497.
- if during business hours and no reply from Frank, consult s/w. s/w may help get patient home and then arrange for home walker delivery (see bullet a. - it may take a few days for insurance to approve). insurance may pay for it - but it may take a while
- if after hours, there is a limited supply of walkers for use after hours when DME office is closed. Ask Charge Nurse to obtain from Nursing Supply Office.
- if all else fails and pt is unsafe to go home, then we must place the patient in obs
- same as above, except we do not have a secret stash
- process is same - except for supplies - patients will not get delivery for 4-5 days - so make sure they have 4-5 day supply when they go home.
- Enter order for "DME Brace" in Orchid, noting "TLSO" in special instructions; Can also search for "Orthotics" or "Prosthetics"
- Call Jack Schwartz or Denise Leiter @ Lerman & Son at 310.659.2290 (fax 310.659.1601) to confirm order received; provide the patient's height and weight
- The vendor will deliver the item, provide training, and complete the task in Orchid
- J Singh 5/9/17
- A.Wu, Dir AAED 12/7/16
- B.Chappell (Leslie Porter email) 2/25/19