- Location is worldwide (excluding Hawaii) in reefs & shallow waters.
- white to yellow-green appearance that are fixed to rocks and coral.
- They possess tentacles that extend upward & are roughly 2m in length.
- Contact with tentacles causes painful, urticarial lesions that may become hemorrhagic and ulcerate.
- Symptoms can last up to 72 hours with skin hyperpigmentation that can last for several weeks.
- Venomous fish
- Phylum porifera (sponges)
- Pain is best managed with vinegar
- Steroid cream and oral antihistamines can be used for mild urticaria.
- If severe, oral steroids may be warranted.
- If hemodynamically stable, patient may be discharged home