- Infections spread by mosquitos, ticks, flies.
- Dengue fever is the most common causes of arboviral disease around the world.
- Increased incidence in warmer months.
- Most commonly manifest as four syndromes (that may overlap:)
- Detailed travel and exposure history
- Local epidemiologic patterns helpful
- Specific serologic testing
- Symptomatic management
- Exclude other causes if serious presentation
- Takhar SS, Moran GJ. Disseminated Viral Infections. In: Tintinalli JE, Stapczynski J, Ma O, Cline DM, Cydulka RK, Meckler GD, T. eds. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011.