University of Missouri at Kansas City Truman Medical Center
The University of Kansas City was chartered in 1929, and one year later, Kansas City businessman and philanthropist William Volker donated 40.8 acres to the university. In 1931, Volker acquired and donated the Dickey mansion, which would house the first library, classrooms, cafeteria and administrative offices. UKC’s first classes began in 1933 with 17 instructors and 265 students enrolled. In 1936, 80 students became UKC’s first graduating class.
The university's dedication to the arts was born in 1942, with the construction of the Fine Arts Center. The Kansas City Conservatory of Music joined UKC in 1959. In 1979, the James C. Olson Performing Arts Center was completed.
One of the university’s most important moves came on July 25, 1963, when UKC became a part of the University of Missouri System. Progress continued to follow, including the construction of Katz Hall (1965), Miller Nichols Library (1965), Royall Hall (1968) and the Education Building (1969).
The residency program, founded by Dr. Kendall McNabney, began on July 1, 1973 at Kansas City General Hospital with three residents making it one of the first in the nation and the first to be endorsed by the Liaison Residency Endorsement Committee, a precursor organization to the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education.
In December 1976, the program moved into the brand new Truman Medical Center (TMC) which is still its primary site. At the time the ED had about 30 beds (configurations changed over the years) and 5 residents per year. TMC continues in the tradition of being the “safety net” hospital for adults in Kansas City, Missouri as well as being the primary teaching hospital for the UMKC School of Medicine. Across the street is Children’s Mercy Hospital, an affiliated hospital for the emergency medicine residency program, and tertiary care facility for the region’s pediatric population.
About 2 miles away is Saint Luke’s Hospital, a large tertiary care private hospital housing the Mid-America Heart Institute.
In 2005, the TMC ED was completely remodeled into a 48 bed state-of-the-art facility with three trauma bays, a 7 bed urgent care area and a 128 slice CT scanner in the ED.
However, the mission of TMC as a safety net hospital has not changed and it is exemplified by the quote from Shakespeare which was originally over the door of “Old General Hospital” and is now displayed near the front door of TMC. "The Quality of Mercy is not strained. It droppeth as the gentle rain from Heaven. Upon the place beneath it is twice blessed. It blesses him that give and him that takes."
- Department Chair: Matthew C Gratton, MD
- Program Director: Amy Stubbs MD
- Associate Program Director: Charlie Inboriboon MD
- Assistant Program Director/Student Clerkship Director: Emily Hillman MD
- Assistant Program Director/Ultrasound Director: Kevin O'Rourke MD
- Research Director: Monica Gaddis PhD
Truman Medical Center
Children's Mercy Hospital
St. Luke's Hospital
- EM/Orientation (1 block)
- EM/EMS (1 block)
- EM (3 blocks)
- Pediatric EM (1 block)*
- Internal Medicine (1 block)
- Cardiology SLH (1 block)*
- Pulomonology/Critical Care SLH (1 block)*
- Critical Care Medicine TMC (1 block)
- Trauma Surgery (1 block)
- OB (2 weeks)/NICU (2 weeks)
- Anesthesiology/Ultrasound (1 block)
- EM (9 blocks)*
- Pediatric EM (1 block)*
- Orthopedic Surgery (2 weeks)/Community EM SLH (2 weeks)*
- EM/Elective (1 block)*
- PICU (1 block)
- EM (10 months)
- Pediatric EM (1 month)*
- Elective (1 month)
- Others possible at discretion of program
Residency Coordinator: Jayna Ross Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +1 816 404 5075