Traditional chinese medicine toxicology
- Traditional Chinese medicine has become increasingly popular in the US and other Western countries, and has remained extremely popular in China and Hong Kong.
- Although generally marketed as "natural" and "herbal" in nature, many contain contaminants in the form of heavy metals or conventional western medications.
Common Toxic Herbs
These are the most common group of herbals
- Activates sodium channels → cardiac and neurotoxicity
- Paresthesias, nausea/vomiting, arrhythmias, hypotension
- Neurotoxicity (convulsion + coma)
- Tachy arrythmia + altered mental status
- Tachy arrhythmia
- Heart Blocks
- Kam PC1, Liew S. Traditional Chinese herbal medicine and anaesthesia. Anaesthesia. 2002 Nov;57(11):1083-9.
- Chan K. Some aspects of toxic contaminants in herbal medicines. Chemosphere. 2003 Sep;52(9):1361-71.