- A compound found in over 200 mushrooms that has mind altering properties similar to LSD.
- Commonly known as "magic mushrooms" or "shrooms". The mushroom are often taken recreationally for the euphoric and hallucinogenic effects. Typically grown in the Pacific Northwest and southern regions of the United States.
- For a typical dose (1mg) symptoms will last 1-3 hours.
- Low toxicity with LD50 of 280mg/kg
- Therapeutic index = 641
- Sympathetic effects
- CO poisoning
- Opioid intoxication
- Antihistamines/Anticholinergic toxicity
- Bath salts
- Gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB)
- Inhalant abuse
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Psilocybin ("magic mushrooms")
- Synthetic cannabinoids
- Clinical diagnosis
- Urine drug screen if concerned about co-ingestion
- Supportive care
- Place patient in a calm and quiet environment
- Benzodiazepines for worsening tachycardia/hypertension or agitation
- Discharge when vitals normalize and clinically sober