- Majority are self inflicted, related to mental illness
- Blood loss seldom life-threatening
- Surgical emergency
- Amputated part should be placed in a sterile bag after wrapped in wet saline gauze, then place in another bag submerged in ice and tap water
- DO NOT submerge in saline and ice since freezing point will be higher
- Surgical options include:
- Reimplantation of the appendage
- Closure of the remaining stump
- Delayed phallic replacement or reconstruction after healing
- Chang AJ and Brandes SB. Advances in diagnosis and management of genital injuries. Urol Clin North Am. 2013; 40:427-438.
- Jezior JR, et al. Management of penile amputation injuries. World J Surg. 2011; 25:1602-1609.