- male= 106 lbs + 6lbs for each inch over 60 +/- 10%.
- female=100 plus 5 lbs for each inch over 60 +/- 10%
adjusted body wt.=(actual-IBW) x.25 + IBW. Use for people whose abw is greater than 120% ibw ...or BMI greater than 25.
Kcal needs is based on adjusted body weight, but protein needs is based on ideal body weight.
- basal m25 f20
- normal weight maintenance: m30 f25.
- Ventilated m25-30 f same.
- Stress m30-35 f same.
- trauma/sepsis m35-40 f same
- extremely catabolic 40-45
Protein Needs (g/kg)
- maintenance .8
- hospitalized 1-1.5
- trauma/stress/sepsis 1.2-2
- closed head injury 1.4-2.2
- renal failure (without dialysis) .8^
- renal failure (with dialysis) 1.2-1.5
- liver disease with out encephalopathy 1.2-2.0
- hepatic encephalopathy .6-.8^
^ may be greater with compounding medical conditions
- reduction in metabolic rate by as much as 30%.
- propofol gives 1.1Kcal/cc
- patients getting po dilantin should have their tube feeds held 1 hour prior to and 1 hour after it is administered.