EBQ:A national evaluation of the effect of trauma-center care on mortality
Is there a difference in mortality between trauma patients treated at level 1 trauma centers vs non-trauma centers?
The risk of death is significantly lower for patients treated at a trauma center than at non-trauma center.
Prospective cohort study.
- Age 18-84
- Arrived alive at the hospital
- At least one injury with a score ≥3 on the Abbreviated Injury Scale
- Arrived at hospital without vital signs and pronounced dead within 30 min of arrival
- Sought treatment >24 hr after injury
- Age ≥65 years with first listed diagnosis as hip fracture
- Neither English- nor Spanish-speaking
- Non-US residents
- Incarcerated or homeless at the time of injury