WikEM elective and asynchronous learning
These are general requirements for the "WikEM Elective" for medical residency programs. This elective is organized by OpenEM Foundation and officially endorsed by the American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident Student Association. Residency programs across the globe are encouraged to participate.
Many emergency medicine and other medical specialty residency programs offer "reading electives" for several weeks of their curriculum. However, these electives can be difficult to monitor, leading to numerous problems in documentation and performance. The WikEM Elective allows residency programs to better supervise residents as they study topics of their own choosing. Additionally, all contributions are then in the open domain as part of the open access movement, thus benefiting medical practitioners around the globe, as well as being immediately available to the contributor, their fellow residents, and their residency program via the WikEM website and its native mobile applications.
- WikEM serves as a point of care source of medical information for practitioners around the world and resident contributions are read by tens of thousands of people!
- By editing and writing content, residents engage in active learning and synthesize the medical literature into "need to know" bedside pearls and treatment information.
- By referencing work, residents will stay current with evidence based medicine.
- Most importantly, the elective is a time to have fun learning and writing about emergency medicine topics and giving back to the entire community.
- Thanks for wanting to help out on WikEM! People are the core of the wiki. Your knowledge translates into improved bedside practice for everyone.
To get started
- Download our mobile app (if you haven't already done so)
- Create an Account on the website
- Read our editing guidelines
- Start editing!
If you are looking for ways to contribute
- See Helping out on WikEM for ideas on how to help
- Follow what everyone else is doing on WikEM at Recent Changes
- Join our WikEM slack channel at https://openemfoundation.slack.com by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consider donating to help our WikEM support free software and educational resources
- Track your progress and become a WikEM Editor via our open and transparent promotion process
Tracking Your Contribution Score
- You are responsible for achieving a Contribution Score of 13 for every one week of your WikEM Elective
- You can keep track of your progress on the Authorship Listing page
- The wiki software tracks all edits and can serve as proof of activity during the elective. For a history off all your edits, go to to http://www.wikem.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/YOURUSERNAME
You may want to print out this page for you residency program director
Contact email@example.com if you need an official certificate for a residency elective.