WikEM elective and asynchronous learning
These are general requirements for the "WikEM Elective" for medical residency programs. This elective is organized by OpenEM Foundation and officially endorsed by the American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident Student Association. Residency programs across the globe are encouraged to participate.
Many emergency medicine and other medical specialty residency programs offer "reading electives" for several weeks of their curriculum. However, these electives can be difficult to monitor, leading to numerous problems in documentation and performance. This WikEM Elective allows residency programs to better supervise residents as they study topics of their own choosing. Additionally, this information is then immediately available to them (and the general medical community) in perpetuity.
- WikEM serves as a point of care source of medical information for practitioners around the world and your writing is read by thousands of people!
- By editing and writing content you engage in active learning and synthesize the medical literature into "need to know" bedside pearls and treatment information
- By referencing your work you will also stay current with evidence based medicine
- Most importantly, the elective is a time to have fun learning and writing about emergency medicine topics and giving back to the entire community.
- Log in/Create an Acount in the upper right of the screen
- You get credit for editing current notes and adding new ones
- Familiarize yourself with the WikEM website. Edits to any part of the site are acceptable:
- Learn the basics of Creating & Editing Pages
- Sign up for editorial discussion on WikEM on the Editor & Active Contributor mailing group: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/wikem-editors.
- First search (upper right hand corner; login first) for the note that you want to create or edit
- Search a bit if you do not find the content; WikEM has lots of information on it
- If you find a related page, edit the existing content
- If there is no related page, create a new note
Ways to Contribute
- Create a Needed Page
- Browse the Old Pages which need updating
- Categorize Existing Content
- Link Pages together to improve navigation among related topics
- Contribute to Actively Edited Pages
- Upload Pictures
Tracking Your Contribution Score
- You are responsible for achieving a Contribution Score of 13 for every one week of your WikEM Elective
- You can keep track of your progress on the Authorship Listing page
- The wiki software tracks all edits and can serve as proof of activity during the elective. For a history off all your edits, go to to http://www.wikem.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/YOURUSERNAME
You may want to print out this page for you residency program director
Contact email@example.com if you need an official certificate for a residency elective.