WikEM elective and asynchronous learning
These are general requirements for Global WikEM Elective. We encourage other residency programs to offer a WikEM with tailored requirements that will be in the residency-specific section.
- Log in/Create an Acount in the upper right of the screen
- Learn the basics of Creating & Editing Notes
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your interest so we can help tailor the elective experience
- Familiarize yourself with the Clinical Notes, GEMC Project, and Journal Club
- Learn about how to reference your content
- If working on clinical notes, first search for the note and edit the existing content or create a new note
- Contact a Section Editor if you have an interest in a particular subspecialty and wish to improve the section
- Browse the Old Pages which need updating
- Categorize Existing Content
- Link Pages together to improve navigation among related topics
- Contribute to Actively Edited Notes
- Create a needed note
- Upload Pictures
Areas of Involvement
- Core Clinical Content
- Global Emergency Medicine Curriculum
- Evidence Based Reviews
- Board Review Questions
- WikEM serves as a point of care source of medical information for practitioners around the world and your writing is read by thousands of people!
- By editing and writing content you engage in active learning and synthesize the medical literature into "need to know" bedside pearls and treatment information
- By referencing your work you will also stay current with evidence based medicine.
- Most importantly, the elective is a time to have fun learning and writing about emergency medicine topics and giving back to the entire community.
- You are responsible for achieving a Contribution Score of 13 for every one week of your WikEM Elective
- You can keep track of your progress on the Authorship Listing page
- The wiki software tracks all edits and can serve as proof of activity during the elective. For a history off all your edits, go to to http://www.wikem.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/YOURUSERNAME
Contact email@example.com if you need an official certificate for a residency elective.