- hematogenous spread or local inf.
- wt. bearing joints most common
- knee (40-50%)
- hip (20- 25%)
- staph, S. Pneumo, group A strep
- in neonates also Groub B strep % gram neg.
- Labs - ESR > 20 after 1-2 d, WBC >
- Bld Cxs (40-50% grow out)
- useful to exclude other cause of joint pain (AP & Frog leg)
- possible effusion
- may be useful to look for abscess, UTZ for effusion
- Age - 6 mo to 8 yrs
- Pres - Pain, Pseudoparalysis
- may present w/ referred knee or thigh pain
- usually hold jt in flexion, ext rotat & slt abduction.
- ESR > 40
- WBC > 12
- Refusal or inability to weight bear on affected joint
- 1/4 criteria met --> 3% have septic joint
- 2/4 --> 40%
- 3/4 --> 93%
- 4/4 --> 99%
- OR drainage
- Oxacillin, Nafcillin or Clinda in pen all
- cover H. inf as needed w/ 3rd gen ceph.
- IV abx for 10-14 days before po
Septic Arthritis (Peds)
Septic Arthritis (General)