Incision and drainage
- May use US or needle aspiration
- Check: Blood Glucose, IV drug use (XR r/o needle), consider HIV counseling/testing
- give if there is a large cellulitic component or fever
- Need to cover staph and strep.
- Update Tetanus
Incision & Drainage
- Be sure to document if packing was placed in the wound
- Anesthesia should be lidocaine or Marcaine without epinephrine
- Most patients need some pain medicine prior to procedure
- Toxic dose of Lidocaine is 5mg/kg with NO epi & 7 mg/kg w/ Epi! (toxic= ring in ears & se). Lido from code cart has no HCl that floor epi has, use HCO3 (1cc to 10cc Lido) to decr pain of floor lido d/t HCl! inject through wound edges NOT intact skin!
- Lido lasts 30-90 min, bupivicaine (.25%) max= 2mg/kg lasts 6-8 hr. Do NOT inject bupivicaine intravascularly b/c= refractory cardiac arrest!!!
Wound check in 1-2 days and wound care sheet